Anaconda Hognose Snake Overview
Every anaconda hognose snake for sale alternates between live and frozen/thawed pinkies weekly. Our baby anaconda hognose snakes for sale are great looking hognose morphs with huge potential for breeding projects. They are full of personality and this species will even to play dead if they feel threatened.
When threatened, hognose snakes will hiss, flatten their necks and raise their heads off the ground like cobras. They sometimes feign strikes, but actual Heterodon bites are very rare. This behaviour has earned them local common names such as “puff adder”, “blowing adder”, “flathead”, “spreadhead”, “spreading adder” or “hissing adder”. Note: For Heterodon, “puff adder” is a common name inconsistent with established usage. “Puff adder” is the accepted common name of Bitis arietans, an unrelated, dangerously venomous African species of viper, which incidentally does not flatten its neck in any threat display.
If this threat display fails to deter a would-be predator, Heterodon species often roll onto their backs and play dead, going so far as to emit a foul musk and fecal matter from their cloaca (in liquid form) and let their tongues hang out of their mouth, sometimes accompanied by small droplets of blood. If they are rolled upright while in this state, they will often roll back as if insisting they really are dead. It has been observed that the snake, while appearing to be dead, will still watch the threat that caused the death pose. The snake will ‘resurrect’ sooner if the threat is looking away from it than if the threat is looking at the snake.
They are rather timid snakes and commonly hide from predators by burrowing down into leaves, sand
- At Big Apple Pet Supply, we sell only Captive Bred Hognose Snakes.
- Reaches full adult size of approximately 3.5 feet in approximately 18 months.
- Sturdy and long lived – more than 15 years in captivity.
- Handles extremely well after acclimation.
- Great snake species for kids (supervised) and loved by adults.
- Unless otherwise noted, picture and video shown are a representation of this animal. As this is a live animal, there will be aesthetic variations.
- Heterodon nasicus
- Captive Bred
- Approximately 7 Inches In Length Can Grow Up To 14-24 Inches
- Females Are Able To Lay Up To 4-25 Eggs
- Originating From Canada Through The Central United States Even Into Northern Mexico
- With Proper Care And Handling These Snakes Can Live Up To 18 Years In Captivity
- These Are Small Loveable Snakes With Friendly Curious Personalities That Are Perfect For Longtime Collectors Or First Time Owners
- Great Mohagony Brown And Dark Small Spots Making This Look Like Miniature Anaconda Snakes With The Classic Western Hognose Face Mask
- Voracious Little Hunters Feeding On Pinky Mice Weekly