Western Hognose Snake Overview
Every Western hognose snake on the market is healthy and feeding on each stay and frozen/thawed pinkies. The Western hognose snake is a small and hardy colubrid with a ton of persona.
They’ve even recognized to play useless when threatened. These superbly child Western hognose snakes on the market make for an important introduction into the conserving of the species.
You might also be excited about our choice of hognose snake morphs that are made via particular genetic breeding initiatives.
When threatened, hognose snakes will hiss, flatten their necks and lift their heads off the bottom like cobras. They often feign strikes, however actual Heterodon bites are very uncommon.
This behaviour has earned them native common names similar to “puff adder”, “blowing adder”, “flathead”, “spreadhead”, “spreading adder” or “hissing adder”. Be aware: For Heterodon, “puff adder” is a typical identify inconsistent with established utilization.
“Puff adder” is the accepted frequent identify of Bitis arietans, an unrelated, dangerously venomous African species of viper, which by the way does not flatten its neck in any menace show.
If this menace show fails to discourage a would-be predator, Heterodon species usually roll onto their backs and play useless, going as far as to emit a foul musk and fecal matter from their cloaca (in liquid type) and let their tongues hang around of their mouth, typically accompanied by small droplets of blood.
If they’re rolled upright whereas on this state, they’ll usually roll again as if insisting they are surely useless. It has been noticed that the snake, whereas showing to be useless, will nonetheless watch the menace that prompted the dying pose. The snake will ‘resurrect’ sooner if the menace is trying away from it than if the menace is trying on the snake.
They’re fairly timid snakes and generally hide from predators by burrowing down into leaves, sand
- At Huge Apple Pet Provide, we promote only Captive Bred Hognose Snakes.
- Reaches full grownup measurement of roughly 3.5 ft in roughly 18 months.
- Sturdy and lengthy lived – greater than 15 years in captivity.
- Handles extraordinarily properly after acclimation.
- Nice snake species for teenagers (supervised) and liked by adults.
- Except in any other case famous, image and video proven are a illustration of this animal. As it is a stay animal, there will probably be aesthetic variations.
- Heterodon nasicus
- Captive Bred
- Roughly 7 Inches In Size Can Develop Up To 14-24 Inches
- Females Are Ready To Lay Up To 4-25 Eggs
- Originating From Canada Via The Central United States Even Into Northern Mexico
- With Correct Care And Dealing with These Snakes Can Reside Up To 18 Years In Captivity
- These Are Small Loveable Snakes With Pleasant Curious Personalities That Are Excellent For Longtime Collectors Or First Time House owners
- Nice Mohagony Brown And Darkish Small Spots Making This Look Like Miniature Anaconda Snakes With The Basic Western Hognose Face Masks
- Voracious Little Hunters Feeding On Pinky Mice Weekly